Greener Church Farm
Protecting our environment
We feel it is a real privilege to be living in such a wonderful environment and wish to protect and share it with our visitors. Church Farm actively supports good environmental practices in the Peak District National Park. Ways in which we do this, with your help, are:
- We believe that we have a duty of care for the environment and to this end we converted our farm to Organic in 1997. We give a high level of care to our animals both domestic and on the farm and work hard to conserve our land, its wild flowers and herbs and our dry stone walls.
- We are in an area of outstanding natural beauty and our land leads you to the National Trust land of Halldale, which meanders down to Dovedale and then on to other dales. To help you explore this lovely area straight from our cottage/barn door (without taking your car) we have provided walking maps and books. To help you to explore our lovely areas further why not consider using a bike and cycling to the Tissington or Manifold trails. The hire of bikes is available locally.
- Please take care when walking with your dog and use the country code at all times.
- Minimise waste by recycling. Waste disposal is a major challenge for us all. Ever increasing amounts of waste are going into landfill sites or into the sea. We recycle as much of our waste glass, cardboard, plastic, tins, paper and food as possible in the colour coded wheelie bins provided.
We have undertaken the following steps and more to save energy and water and we hope our actions will help to minimise the impact of our use of the world's resources.
- Insulated the cottage and barn to the maximum level
- Installed a high efficiency condensing boiler
- Maintain all our taps to stop dripping
- Used led bulbs throughout both cottages
- Put thermostats on all radiators
- Lined all curtains
- We are on a water meter and monitor our usage
You can help too by
- Not flushing the toilet after every use
- Have a shower which uses 8 gallons of water rather than a bath which uses 18 gallons of water
- Only use the dishwasher when it is full, this uses 5 gallons of water
- Only use the washing machine when you have a full load, this uses 18 gallons of water
- If your washing is only lightly soiled use the 'quick wash' option
- Turn down the thermostat on the radiators if you become too warm and if you want to open a window, turn the radiator off
- Keep warmth in by closing curtains early on cold days.
- On arrival you will be greeted with organic local produce including eggs from our own free-range hens, bread and scones made with organic flour, milk and butter and a pint of organic milk. We use products grown or made in the Peak District National Park wherever possible.